Sunday, August 4, 2013

Futures

A fascinating aspect of kingdom economy is the true opportunity to invest in the future.  Kingdom citizens have the opportunity to actually invest in things of eternal value, which is the future generations.

In the midst of many of the opportunities, only one, was not well received.  My anti-country granddaughter had the idea or was given the idea that I could raise goats for her to sell the kids, to make money for a car in a couple of years.  I explained to her, the real value of the goats I raise is the fresh milk, for my soap products and to save money at the store.  I save more at the store than I make selling the kids.  The kids I sell basically pays for the feed for the milk production.  And the business I have does not interest her at all, so basically long distant goat raising probably isn't a great idea.  That's the only information that didn't go over well, the rest has been delightful.

I've got two older goats, good milk providers, that simply aren't going to be around forever, and I needed some young blood in the herd.  I jokingly refer to the Goat Auction, as "buying stock."  So far, it's done better than Wall Street the last few years.  I did manage to purchase two lovely young does that look quite promising in the milk department.  One is nearly dried up and ready for breeding and the other is producing beautifully and still young enough that I can get her bred and still milk her a couple more months.  Futures!  Meanwhile, I can dry up the older goats before breeding and that will take less of a toll on them.

I was able to show my granddaughter several dinners made straight from the garden, which means basically no expense as well as no GMO consumption.  These are important things for our future generation to know.  It's coming down to the reality that real food is going to have to be raised in a home garden.

We also got several buckets ready for producing in the green house this winter.  Rather than just starting bedding plants in January in the green house, I'm planning to raise fresh veggies all winter.  I'll be keeping you posted.  My bucket potatoes have been moderately successful, and I'm making improvements as I go, so I should have a good method to share very soon.  It's a new kind of "futures investment," and yet as old as recorded history!

No comments:

Post a Comment