Sunday, December 15, 2013

Arriving at a Price

We do need money or some form of buying power in this world for now, but I find myself often questioning how it is we came to determine what our time is worth.  Scripture says, we are to freely give what we've been freely given, and as a servant of El Shaddai, my time is not my own.  On top of that, the ideas for my products, be they books or soaps and oils; come from Him.  I'm just never quite sure how to arrive at a price for anything!  So, I figure according to the old standard of costs + overhead + supply.  That method worked for years and years.  Probably the main place I differ from our social perspective, is in valuing my free time verses "on the clock."  As a servant of YHWH, I don't really think of leisure time at all.  I rest every Shabbat.  In the evening, especially now that it gets dark so early, I want something to do, so it's a great time to work on formulas and write.

If I were watching a movie, how valuable would that time be?  If I was playing some computer game, what value would that have?  Since my lifestyle actually produces my living, I don't figure an hourly wage or work vs. leisure.  As I study Scripture, I'm just not sure how our hourly wage even fits into the figuring.  It seems, what I find, is land, produce, spices, fish, sheep, etc. had an accepted agreed upon price.  Fishermen weren't paid by the hour, they were paid by the fish.  Shepherds weren't paid by the hour, they tended their flock. The value of the sheep and the increase of the herd was in direct correlation to their health and safety.  The time a shepherd spent with his flock reflected in their well being, thus their value, but his specific time was not figured into the price.  I can attest from my own flocks and herds, up at midnight with a new arrival, as compared to a new one in the middle of the day, are not the variables at the time of sale.

In figuring the price of my soaps and oils, the variance in pricing is based upon the ingredients and supplies, and the value is based upon a good and satisfying finished product.  Books are the most difficult to establish a price, in that I truly do believe the words are given to me by Adonai.  I name a price, so the book sellers will carry them.  

A finished product used to be the point of work.  I can't imagine Solomon figuring an hourly wage on the construction of the Temple.  A good work ethic and pride in one's work, is what contributes to the true value of any product.  Ecclesiastes 9:10a was one of the first Bible passages I learned as a child.    
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment