Sunday, May 18, 2014

Still Sorting

Many of us continue to downsize.  I wish I could talk my parents into that concept . . . I am so blessed that my house does not have a basement or an attic.  Closets collect enough!  I know people who are so disciplined they actually have a regular schedule to sort through drawers and closets.  Well, I also have a regular schedule to sort, annually!  I am very disciplined in some areas of life, and others, not so much, so I simply cannot have large spaces to collect things I think I might need some day.  I already have enough to share. Our possessions are part of our economic "worth" and resources, while our priorities are our economic worth in the kingdom. 

I purchase in bulk for my business, and that is kept quite organized.  Silver ware drawer, cooking utensils, etc. all have a place and can be found consistently in those places.  I have discovered a fact about myself.  If I use something regularly, or it has a specific purpose, I am very organized in it's storage.  If, on the other hand, I keep something "just in case I might need it," one of two things happen.  If and when I do actually need it, I can't remember where I put it; or I happen on to it the next year to determine all over again, why I'm keeping it.

I was cleaning my closet, again, for Passover, and found a number of things to donate.  The thrift store and food pantry was moving, though, so I didn't see any reason to take a box for them to have to move, so I tossed these clothes into a large box, and wouldn't you know it, I've managed to toss a few more items in.  I think most Americans have duplication in their lives.  I saw a great way to clean a closet that I'm thinking about trying.  Hang all the hangers reversed on the rod.  When you wear an item and return it to the closet, hang the hanger back up the regular way.  At the end of a year, donate everything that is still hanging on backward hangars.

I do try to stay within the frame work of a year.  If I haven't used or worn something in all four seasons, I probably don't need it, but someone else could use it!  Conviction is setting in as I write this.  Looks like I've got a couple more places to sort, before that big box goes to the thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment