Sunday, October 12, 2014

Found Money

My daughter and I have this "game" we play when visiting each other when I try to give her product.  When she sends a check, I don't cash it, and when I give her money, she hides it back in my purse.  It's what we do . . .  We are so much alike, when her check book doesn't balance or I find money in some extra spot, we know, we just know!  She and I are both "stashers" when it comes to smaller bills in receiving change,and we both leave a cushioned pad in our balance; but even though we stick it in a pocket or hide a small deposit in our account, we do remember when we come back across it.  It's when we know we didn't lose track of something, we know the other one has "been there!"

Recently I discovered some "found money," and immediately I had that old feeling!  This daughter of mine is tricky and truth be told a little on sly side!  What I had given her, was a gift, so when I discovered some money, I asked her, she was cagey, so I knew; and that was that.  I couldn't send a check, she already knew my trick!

It seems about 12 to 15 years ago, the old adage "found money is to be spent," became a new adage for me.  "Found money isn't figured in, and can be given away!"  My quest became rather interesting and quite touching this week.  I'd been told the grocery store in a nearby town kept "money on hand" for those who came up a bit short.  The food pantry in that town has now moved well out of the downtown area, so it's not really so accessible for those who are in need.  I'd already left some change on occasion, at the store and taken groceries to the food pantry, but when I heard there was actually a fund for this, I went with money in hand.  As it turns out, I'd heard wrong, but . . . they were gracious and agreed it was a good idea and they would implement it somehow.  To be honest, I was a bit embarrassed in that I felt like I drew significant attention to what I thought was just a simple donation.  It was so awkward, it almost stopped me from doing what I did today.  I'm so glad I listened to the voice of Adonai.

I heard Abba leading me to donate some money in the next town, when I went and today was the day. After reading my devotion and doing chores, I checked the phone book, intending to call to check their policy for donations, not wanting to make the same awkward and embarrassing situation this time.  Well, as it turned out, life got busy and I was on the way to town, before I thought of making that phone call.  I certainly wasn't going to be disobedient, but I was truly apprehensive about bringing attention to the endeavor.  By the time I got there, there were only the two women working the front.  I asked for the manager, and one spoke up and said that was she.  I simply stated, "I don't know where the town's food pantry is, but I know this organization operates an outreach beyond the thrift store."  She smiled and said yes, and I put the money in her hand.  She said thank you, I said  you're welcome and out the door I went.

Before I could get in my vehicle, the other woman came out the door in tears.  Now, I had that moment of instant ? . . . Never mind, this is what Abba sent me to do.  As she approached me with a pen and piece of paper, and the tears were flowing, she simply said she wanted to hug me!  Funny, I'd just been telling Abba how much I missed hugs . . .  We hugged and she said their food pantry had run out of food Tuesday.  Now, clearly, I had no way of knowing this.  I don't even live in that town or have that town for an address.  She, was clearly overcome with joy and surprise.  The pen and paper were for me to write my name.  I'm guessing she's going to be praying for me.  I know, I'm certainly going to be praying for her.  And my daughter, Des, is part of this, too!

What a moment of clarity.  Abba led me to a need I could not have possibly known about and that precious woman's prayer was answered, as she reaches out and helps in that community.  Oh, "found money" it has a purpose!  "Found money is to be shared!"

No comments:

Post a Comment