Sunday, April 12, 2015

Investing in Temporal

This past week as I munched unleavened bread, I took inventory of the place.  The two prior weeks, I took inventory of dust bunnies and leaven.  Now, in the clean brightness, I considered what I've invested in temporal things.  By temporal, I mean shelter, furniture, vehicles, even the wind turbine and solar panels.  One of my daughters got me thinking about the way I spend my money vs. the way she spends hers.  She's been quick to point out that I spend more than she would on domains and webhosting and I need to shop around more.  She's also expressed that a thousand dollars worth of batteries to go with the wind and solar power supply seems excessive.  By that same token, she doesn't think I purchase quality, when it comes to furniture and dishes.  She does think I get great deals on vehicles though!

Now, when I consider the way others spend money, I quickly realize, I probably seem cheap.  When I consider the way that same daughter spends her money, I realize she simply did not receive her set of values from me.  As I aim for sustainable living, there are investments.  I would love to have only a bill for my internet provider, while the internet is still an option and a monthly trip to town for dog food, coffee, and toilet paper.  That's my goal, if Messiah tarries.  I may have to get one more pair of sandals, but it's recorded that the children of Israel's shoes held up for the entire journey through the wilderness, so maybe the ones I have will last another forty years.  I cleaned my closet out this past spring, as well.  I simply do not need a closet full of clothes.  I've splurged in the past few years by making some special skirts for the Feasts.

In recent years, I've truly made purchases with the thought in mind, that I may never need to make this purchase again, or may not have the opportunity to do so.  Many of us are considering the idea that we may be helping others through turbulent times.  I want to be able to offer warmth and sustenance.  According to Scripture some folks are going to be heading to the hills with just the shirts on their backs.  I want to be able to help them . . . I'm not hoarding, at least I don't think I am, but all of the purchases I make, great consideration is given to preparation for the times ahead.

I do know, if I live out my days before Messiah returns, this place and the investments I've made will benefit the next occupant . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment