Monday, May 25, 2015

Sold Out or Sold Out?

It seems these days, all the religious folk know each other's lingo and the secular world is filled with Biblical experts who don't choose to embrace a Scriptural lifestyle while enabling them to judge all believers.  The world is getting to be a confusing place to exist.  I found myself only half interested in a group discussion in social media today.  As the comments droned on and on, I found myself really disgusted that I had ever entered a comment at all.  Sometimes I simply erase my comments, but this particular thread wasn't even worth going back to.  Oh the little boxes on my news feed would pop up and say someone had mentioned me in a comment, but it just didn't matter.  There are so many more important things a servant of the Most High could and should be doing, besides debating Hebrew and Greek jots and tittles.

One of the simplest statements that we should really address and assess, personally is:  "Sold Out."  Are we sold out?  Or have we sold out?   It's so easy to confuse the statement or misunderstand the inference, especially when we want to feel religiously right.  How easy it is to consider oneself a "teacher" or even "rabbi" on social media, expounding the difference between jots and tittles, while those who do not have eyes to see and ears to hear, remain blind and deaf or literally:  starve and drown!  This week has been particularly troublesome in this area.

Have we sold out?  I'm beginning to wonder.  As we discuss hermeneutics and eschatology, who is tending to the widows and orphans?  As we chastise others for their lack of compassion for the homeless and hungry, how expensive is our dinner?  As we debate the latest "revelation" of "love thy neighbor vs. the law," what does it really cost to share the Good News with our neighbors?  I am personally, so tired, of those who would attack the 1%, while having their luxury cars and hobby supplies.  Just who is standing in the gap on behalf of the land?  Although I agree that no one needs a CEO salary in the millions, folks really don't NEED two vehicles, unless two people are heading opposite directions to work every day.  And as much as I would like to judge the capitalists, entitlementalists annoy me too, even if it's not a recognized word . . . yet.

Judging Joel Osteen and Oprah is Scriptural according to righteous judgement, but if one isn't living according to Scripture, there is no claim to "righteous judgment."  Secular folks, or religious folks, name-calling those who disagree with them are still hypocrites.  At least the Pharisees thought they were being devout!  We simply cannot be "sold out" to Messiah, if we've sold out in any area of compromise or self-righteousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment