Sunday, August 30, 2015

Hone Those Talents

I went to town today and did a bit of stocking up.  I want to be prepared to help.  This is going to sound a bit selfish perhaps, but when others need help, I'd just as soon be able to hand them a can of tomatoes rather than a canning jar of tomatoes.  Of course, I'll help if I can but I don't want to lose track of my jars.  In this same trip, I discovered some very sad news, that seems to be marking an end to an era.   It's weighed so heavily on my mind, I've had to double check blogs and articles to make sure the issue has not already been published, but I think I've just been talking about it to anyone and everyone.

 In one of the many recent trips to town, I went by the Locker Plant I've patronized in the past.  Last year, they told their customers they were reducing their operation hours to deer season only, but they would still process beef through that season.  Since deer season is quickly approaching, I thought I might find someone at the place getting ready.  Rather than finding anyone there, or a note on the door as to the opening day, the place was obviously beyond abandoned.  The pens were all torn down, the refrigeration compressors were gone.  Believe it or not, I really tried to justify those two looming facts by considering, the compressors sitting out in plain view when the business is closed 8 months would just be an invitation for theft and vandalism.  As for the pens, since the focus now was primarily processing wild game, pens would really not be needed for dead animals.  The mail box atop the pile of neatly stacked deconstructed pen sides jolted me out of my idealistic denial.  There was only one more thing to check . . .

My little moment of denial came to a crashing halt and my fear confirmed, when I checked the meter box.  The meter had been pulled.  So, the next obvious thought of choice was, the elder generation had lived out his days and the descendants realized there really was no future career in a Locker Plant.  That may be what did happen, I don't know.  I know it was a family business that began right after WWII, just like the orchard up the highway that shuttered last year.  I truly do hope and pray that the senior generation simply lived out their days with the kids and grandkids juggling their "real career" and helping grandpa.  If that's the case, there's only one tragic detail to this story . . . Most in our society, even though they consume meat, do not raise their own meat, much less know how to process it.

In two years now, I've seen business shutter that were keeping alive the way of life that has sustained humanity throughout history.  It's time to dust off those talents and learn how to produce and process our own food, while we still can, or hone some talents that will produce good products for fair barter.    

No comments:

Post a Comment