Monday, May 20, 2013

Wise Counsel

Scripture tells us before starting something, we should count the cost. Proverbs tells us there is wisdom seeking counsel. Obviously both of those statements are true. I know, even with a call on my life, I still sought spiritual counsel in regard to the initial steps of fulfilling that call. I got some wise counsel and some not so wise advice, but fortunately when the call comes from On High, HE offers the insight to separate the wisdom from folly. When it comes to secular business, I had a bit more trouble, because it wasn't spiritual, as much as it was emotional. Oh, I prayed before starting the business, and felt very assured to proceed, but I allowed myself to get talked into so much more. That isn't to blame the "advisors" as much as it is to own up to my own mistake in taking advice from the unqualified.

First and foremost, there were bivocational servants of YHWH in Scripture. Abraham is referred to as a prophet, yet he was also a nomadic shepherd. Paul, an apostle, also made tents or tallits, but coverings of some sort. Being in ministry in Bible times isn't like being a Rabbi or Pastor today. In Bible times, only the High Priests were considered in full time ministry, with provision by the "congregants."

Today, I would venture to suggest that the true servants of YHWH are bi-vocational. I was hesitant to start my business for two reasons. I already have a great deal of responsibility, homesteading and writing. The ministry to which I'm called is very similar to that of Paul's. Most of it is in writing, via books and internet, with some speaking engagements. The topic is clear. If you're going to follow Messiah then you have to live as He lived. It's non-negotiable. The Great Commission isn't about knocking on doors inciting debate, selling books, or getting someone to recite the "sinner's prayer." The Great Commission is about going and proclaiming redemption upon repentance, and teaching the lifestyle He lived to those who do repent and are seeking the Living G-d.

So, back to wise counsel. Don't ask the advice of anyone who is insatiable. Don't ask the advice of anyone who doesn't have to work for a living. Don't ask any entrepreneurial advice of someone who doesn't get up early or stay up late working on ideas. I'm not saying they have to burn the candle at both ends, but successful business people have a reason to get up and do not waste the day. My personal perspective is there is a big difference between a visionary and someone who is just never satisfied.

Good advice will confirm and encourage while gently critiquing what is already in your heart and on your mind. Good advice will not say, "Now, here's what you need to do." Good advice asks questions and encourages your vision while imparting a few practicalities. Now is a great time to consider applying the talents G-d created in each of us to work with our hands and accomplish the living and lifestyle He purposed for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment