Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Good Way to Kill Time . . .

Last week I heard someone use the term, "a good way to kill time," in reference to movies and television; and I found myself just dumbfounded.  I cannot imagine the need to kill time!  Seems every day, at the end of the day, I still have more to do.  Years ago, through the last of my years of owning a television, I referred to it as my OFF switch.  I simply could not stay awake to watch it and I realized I really enjoyed living life to the extent, I was tired at the end of the day and didn't want to fall asleep with the television on.  As I read about the advertisements and digital capability, I'm really I got rid of mine before this millenium began, but that's not really the point of the article.

What has happened to our society that we need so much leisure time and so much entertainment, to enable us to while away the hours into useless oblivion?  Why do we have so much time on our hands that we call useless?  When did time become of no value?  You certainly won't hear that in a wage and salary negotiation, at least on the part of the employee.  My Daddy still refers to wasting time as "burnin' daylight." Which is something he absolutely abhors.  I find myself to be very much like him.

I find most of the entertainment in this country to be quite boring.  Although I enjoy engaging in a spirited discussions and conversations, it seems many of our current events are little more than gossip with a political spin.  Even the political pundits refer to themselves as entertainers.

I realize I can get too many irons in the fire, but I know I'd much rather close the day with many things accomplished and more to do, than have spent hours, killing time.  Once hours are spent and time is killed, it's gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment