Sunday, July 13, 2014

Prayer as an Investment

I don't know why the thought never occurred to me before, but praying is investing in the Kingdom, here on earth.  It's investing time, energy and effort if we listen and obey.  This is specifically about praying for others, and I'm not at all suggesting that we pray for others in accordance with our desired results . . . but simply and honestly from the heart.

When I pray, I give thanks and praise first, but when it gets to my "list," I frequently begin with the specific statement that I am not going to tell Abba His business.  I state clearly, "I'm not asking for a specific outcome according to my will or even their will, but Thy Will be done."  When it comes to matters of salvation, healing, and deliverance; He has already stated He is not willing that any should perish, He is our Healer and Deliverer.  So I ask in those cases, if there is something I should say or do, or they should stop doing . . . Sometimes there is, and I speak what I'm told or offer what He says.  Often times what we see as the problem is just a symptom of the real problem.  In other cases, it's a matter of them just knowing someone is praying for them.  Prayer is such a small investment with such big dividends.  I'm not trying to make Adonai sound like a bank or stock market . . .

In praying recently, I've inadvertently discovered something I'd like to share.  I receive many prayer requests, and although these are some specific incidents, many of the requests address general issues for most of us.  A couple of months ago, I published in the Goshen Gazette, a seven week plan for losing weight.  To be completely honest, at that time, I wasn't really on it strictly, as I was doing a Daniel fast and a couple of other things at the time, but it had been requested so I published it.  I did pray for the ones who had asked for it, and I lost a few pounds myself.  Recently, the requests have gone around again regarding, not so much weight loss, but simply healthier diets.  Since praying for those folks, I've lost another 5 pounds.  Of course, I'm grazing on garden produce, but I know it has to do with praying for others.  Since my foot injury, I haven't been doing my usual amount of walking.  Losing weight on less exercise is obviously supernatural!  My request on the behalf of others, is coming back and blessing me.  I have more examples.

I pray for folks about jobs and business.  Many people are embracing their entrepreneurial spirit and choosing to use the talents our Heavenly Father gave them.  I have noticed a pattern in my own business.  When I pray for another, my business is blessed.  Again, I'm not suggesting the self-serving teaching that went around 15 years ago about G-d serving up 100 fold on demand.  I'm simply noticing and giving glory to our Heavenly Father who answers prayer abundantly more than we can ask or imagine . . . and to proclaim that prayer is an investment that His Will be done on earth as it is in heaven . . .

There was a situation, in which someone had a financial need.  I don't respond to many of those, but in this case, YHWH spoke specifically . . . I obeyed.  I already had the funds when I made the donation, but within minutes, an order came in that exceeded what I had just sent.  We cannot outgive G-d!  Most of us were taught that praying "Thy kingdom come" was asking for the return of Messiah, and I'm sure there is some truth to that, but it was Messiah who first said those words, so . . . I've been asking "Thy kingdom come" in me and in the lives of those for whom I pray, now . . . please.

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.


1 comment: