Sunday, September 21, 2014

Just Weights

Since we don't carry silver and gold to make purchases, and what is sold by weight is usually packaged and priced, it would seem this concept is rather archaic.  The term, "just weights" translates to me, to be honest in my dealings.  Honest in my relationships, motives, and in all business deals.  Before following Messiah, I wasn't into robbery or shoplifting, and I didn't choose to overtly lie, but I wasn't always honest, either.  I'm also not one of those people who choose to be mean or rude, calling it honest; as some things simply do not need to be said.

As my walk has continued on this narrow path, I've come to realize business dealings are personal.  The way I do business reflects the person that I am.  I've had a lot to learn.  In homesteading, all deals do not come with a price tag and cash register . . . especially when it comes to flocks and herds.  My first chicken purchase was wonderful and my first goat deals were quite illuminating.  It's simply in my blood to do a little wheeling and dealing, but I did show restraint . . .

The first Sunday afternoon on the homestead, I traveled about an hour to see a man about some chickens.  He had many breeds, of various size and age.  He asked me what I was looking for.  I knew enough to say tell him I wanted a dozen heavy pullets that were decent layers.  The "heavy" is a term used  to describe the meatier breeds.  He then looked at me and said, "How about a rainbow mix?"  What a perfect thing to say to me!  With that wonderful rainbow mix, he gave me a two young roosters, as a gift.  When I got home and was unloading them, I realized I had 15 chickens.  There was an extra pullet I hadn't paid for.  Apparently in gathering them from various pens, he hadn't counted one.  I called him and offered to mail a check.  He thanked me, but declined.

My goat deals taught me a great deal.  The first lady was just wonderful.  She had quite a menagerie.  It seems we made a bit of a deal, since I bought two, but what stood out at the time was her reference to the "Premise Number."  She said all farms would be getting them.  When I got home I did a bit of research and knew that was something this homesteader did not want.  Premise registration is a backdoor loss of property rights to the International Codes.  It continues to be voluntary at this time, and I still don't have one.  This bigger homestead didn't even have an address until 2009.

The next goat deal, really had an effect on me that I consider before selling any of my goats.  It was recommended that I buy a high quality registered dairy goat.  So, I found quite the goat dealer . . . I went out and saw the one that was for sale.  The overpriced deal was sweetened by the offer to have her bred there before I took her, so I left her for another month.  When I went back to pick her up, something happened so quickly, I didn't catch it.  Two steps toward the vehicle the woman stopped suddenly and said she needed to trim her hooves before we loaded out . . . Here, I'm dumb, I thought 'how nice.'  I hadn't had her long, when it became apparent, her hip would disjoint and need to be put back in place.  That's when I remembered the sudden hoof trim at the time of her purchase, and how the woman had shifted her hip when "trimming her hooves."  It ended badly in an ice storm.

With that, I determined I would be the most honest and independent goat woman I knew how to be.  Not that I would overtly sell a lame animal, but as I get to know my herd, I refuse to sell my problems . . . Like Jacob, I'll take the loss, and Abba has blessed me.  I sell healthy young livestock, an occasional milker, and every two years an ornery buck.  Reputations are gained by the way we conduct our business, and the way we conduct our business reflects who we truly are.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment