Sunday, November 16, 2014

Interests and Entertainment

Watching television is a big theft of time, in my book.  I'm not saying it's wrong for everyone, but even people with televisions speak of how horrible the shows are.  That's not the point today, however.  In living without a television, Mr. B frequently gets reminiscent of old programming.  He used to want to discuss old movies on Shabbat and I did put the kibosh to that, but if it's not Shabbat, I'll listen.  The observation did have to be made though, that talking about old television shows seemed an even less productive way to spend time than watching television.  That's when it hit me!

Somehow in Mr. B's recollection of old television shows, I saw a pattern of introducing non-nuclear families very early in television programming, so I began analyzing.  I've stated for years that society seems to follow the pattern of television, or perhaps television programming is actually the indoctrination for the mindset of the next generation.  "Will and Grace" just isn't so funny anymore, is it?  As I listened last night about shows I never saw, like "Sky King" etc. I thought of my old favorite, and the analysis really began.

I wasn't so much into cartoons as a child, but I loved Gilligan's Island.  Before syndication, I was actually witness to the series being transformed from black and white to color!  I have a more meaningful point to make, however.  Seven people on a deserted island was my little escape when I wasn't reading.  The show first caught my attention, because just like the Wizard of Oz, one of the characters was from Kansas.  As an old Kansas girl, I could not wrap my mind around the concept that anyone would be trying to get back.  As I lost myself in this show weekly for thirty minutes, "uncharted isolated territory" was really rather appealing to me.  When the show went into syndication, it was absolutely wonderful.  I watched it afternoons before chores.  It truly was my escape through some very difficult times of my life.

So, as Mr. B discussed shows of the 50s, I thought of what our favorite shows really teach us, subliminally.  I thought of the political ramifications of the Skipper and Gilligan.  Skipper was definitely "old school" and political candidates still tend to come across as seeking to be captains on a ship that is great, but sinking.    More than one VP comes to mind when thinking of Bob Denver's inept character, Gilligan.

The girl from Kansas did all the "homespun stuff" for the castaways, like food preparation and cleaning.  Check . . . The professor spent his time divided between working on communication and sustainability.  Check . . . But I learned more than that.  In watching the movie star strut around the island in so many different dresses, the theme song would play in my head.  She sure brought a lot of clothes for a 3 hour trip.  Her character taught me how truly superficial and fleeting fame and vanity are.  Her life was now, no different than anyone else on the island, except she had no skills, was overdressed, and afraid she'd be forgotten by her fans.  Then there were the Howells.  Mrs. Howell was obviously just for show and Mr. Howell, with all his riches, was just as stranded as the rest of them.  His money couldn't buy his way off that island.  Although Skipper certainly took notice of the movie star, there was not even a hint of impropriety going on between any of them.  Survival and cooperation were the priorities.

I'm certainly not giving any spiritual significance to sitcoms, and yet, we are drawn to what interests us, even in our childhood and certainly at times of escaping.  I realize it was only a 30 minute show, but last night I realized how even our choice of entertainment reflects our interests.  To what is the next generation being directed, for their interests and entertainment?

No comments:

Post a Comment