Monday, December 1, 2014

Paying Forward

The title of this article is a term that really doesn't set well with me, politically speaking, but it seems appropriate for the grocery store.  I'd like to appeal to all those who receive a discount, primarily senior.  This does not apply to those who are having to decide between filling a prescription or eating cat food, but rather to those of us who are still actively in the workforce, but our silver locks afford us a discount on certain days.  Honestly, I really cannot understand how I should be more deserving of a discount than a young couple trying to feed and clothe their family.

I've been on this soapbox before, but I've gotten to know some of the cashiers at the local grocery store.  We're not organizing a club or anything, and bless their hearts, there's no gossip going on.  There are young families in real need and any little bit of assistance is greatly appreciated by the clerks.  They've shared with me, how heart breaking it is to watch someone start putting things back, especially when it's simple staples like bread and milk at the end of the month.  These are not people who have a cart full of ready made food and children screaming for candy.  These are people who are what we now know as "the working poor."  How can this be, in America?

Mr. B dropped me off at the market the other day and he headed to O'Reilly's.  I knew I should take my time and I did, but I still ended up at the end of one of the checkouts for awhile and that's when I got to see what is happening.  I try to make it a point to go on Tuesday, which is senior discount day.  As it turns out, the senior discount is about the same percentage as the tax rate, so I can estimate what it will be.  The store was quite busy, so I was able to witness several transactions.  Of course, there were several seniors that seem to make a point to shop on the discount day.  There were several younger shoppers also though. Perhaps they were taking advantage of the advertised sales before they changed or avoiding the pre-Thanksgiving Wednesday shoppers.  At any rate, I watched the majority of the crowd pay with plastic.  It could have been debit cards or SNAP benefit cards.  I couldn't tell, but it is also possible to use credit cards at the grocery store.  Can you imagine paying interest on a gallon of milk, loaf of bread, and toilet tissue?

When I turned 55, I determined my senior discount would serve a better purpose than giving me a discount on dog food and coffee.  The cashiers will work you on this.  As the cashier spoke the other day, she shared that "she has a pretty good idea of the regulars who are struggling."  It's the only grocery store in town.  A few dollars discounted is not going to change whether or not I am supplied, but a few dollars for a young struggling family may be the difference between a gallon of milk, or going without.  As an aging boomer, I really did want to leave the next generations a better world, but now as a Bible believer, I know that simply is not going to happen.  As a Bible believer, however; I can leave my change and redirect my senior discount, paying forward, to "feed the lambs."


No comments:

Post a Comment