Sunday, January 18, 2015

An Odd Experience For Which I'm Thankful

I've been truck shopping.  I wasn't looking for anything new as that puts me in sticker shock, and I didn't want payments.  Since my shopping budget is somewhat limited, I'm primarily looking on used vehicle lots and perusing craigslist.  The very first lot on which I stopped, delivered a predicament I was certainly not expecting.

I had a basic idea of what I was looking for, but maintained some flexibility.  I knew I didn't want a Ford or a Dodge.  I'm a GMC girl, so that narrowed the search down considerably.  Silverados have always been a favorite of mine.  Although I've never owned one, I did drive one back in my Funeral Director days working coroner cases.  I liked the feel of the truck back then, and so the memory has stayed with me, all these years later; but I was open to a GMC Sierra.  I was also willing to consider looking at an Avalanche or Escalade.

Having been introduced to the owner of one of the used car dealerships, I thought I'd visit his place first.  Right in front of his building sat a big charcoal Avalanche.  It was the body style with a bed, so I went over to check it out.  As I opened the driver's door, I was met with the intensity of car dealer cologne and immediately knew he was driving this vehicle.  It had a nice black interior, but that was all I took in before I was met with a voice booming from the door.  "That's not for sale.  I'm driving that!"  I stepped away from the vehicle and closed the door in somewhat disbelief.  I looked his way and he proceeded to tell me what a great vehicle this was, but he wasn't ready to sell it.  He'd be getting more in like it.

Suddenly, strange thoughts were swirling in my head.  The vehicle was too great to sell at this time?  Made me wonder what would be the issue that made him decide to sell it.  Which then led to the next question regarding the condition of the ones he was willing to sell.  Obviously, I read a great deal into his reluctance to sell the vehicle I was interested in, but . . .   Here it is, January on a used car lot, and the owner won't sell this vehicle.  So, I moved on, with no plans of returning.  As I went to several lots, there was always the offer for me to settle on something other than my first choice, at basically the top of my shopping budget.  Nothing was setting right, but by the same token, I really was in no rush.  I can haul goats in the Uplander and the calves aren't going anywhere until next fall, so . . .


I found myself on a car lot a distance outside of my usual stomping grounds.  On that lot, not only was there a Silverado, but it wasn't even at the top of my shopping budget, and . . . it really was a one owner truck!  Before the test drive, I could tell by the interior, it had been taken care of.  So, with that observation  and an awesome test drive . . . YHWH willing, I'll be picking up a used, 'new to me,' Chevy Silverado this week.  It appears to be exactly what I was looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment