Sunday, January 11, 2015

Flocks and Herds

Sometimes in all the hoop-ti-la of this American economy, it's easy to forget that Scripture does address earthly wealth, even confirming earthly wealth is not necessarily evil, but can actually be a blessing.  There are two things we tend to overlook or equate that Scripture portrays differently.   Scripture refers to land, herds, and flocks as wealth.  Abraham even had silver.  Paul wrote, telling Timothy, it was the love of money that is the root of all evil, which says, it's about our attitude and priority rather than money, itself.   Various believers have major debates about degrees of wealth, while the fact of the matter is, by comparison, most Americans have a standard of earthly wealth far above much of the rest of the world.

When it comes to actual cash, I would not be considered a wealthy woman.  I don't have a huge nest egg saved or a big pension plan.  Just between you, me, and the fence post, I don't have a 401K, either.  I've mentioned selling what I did have in the Stock Market to invest in four legged stock, which brings me to the latest development in the flocks and herds.  Last week, Buddy Buck headed to the auction.  I included a "play by play" of his departure in last week's edition.  Well, the check from the auction house arrived.  Although the amount is nearly three times what I paid for Buddy, that's not the real measure of wealth by any means.

 Within the next six to ten weeks, Abba willing, Buddy's offspring will begin making their appearances.  If each doe has only one, which would be an unusually low average, the herd will double.  Not to count my goats before their hooves hit the ground, but twins are quite common and triplets come along with some degree of regularity, as well.  The head count of offspring isn't really where the wealth is determined here in the Land of Goshen.  The herd being doubled in size would not be practical to keep, so the majority of the young will be sold.  With the sire now off the place, I will be able to keep choice does and for the price of three kids, I'll be able to buy two young calves, but that's not really the wealth.  The wealth, in my understanding is what is perpetual.   When the does freshen, regardless of the number of kids, the fresh milk is flowing.
Fresh goat's milk is so much more valuable than money.  I, of course, drink it, but I also use it to make cheese and soap.  I cook with it and can it.  Goat's milk makes wonderful kosher ice cream and so far it's raised some really nice beef.  It seems every year someone has needed some goat's milk to nurture a hungry little mammal of some sort.  Nanny goats can raise their young, plus provide for all the rest of this as well.  One goat would be hard pressed to provide for this many needs, but a herd provides quite well.  I try to refrain from milking the first time moms as their young belong to YHWH, so unless there is an emergency, I try to make sure those kids get all the milk.


As I think of the shepherds of Bible times right up to now, the increase of flocks and herds is clearly an earthly blessing from our Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment