Thursday, June 25, 2015

Management and Priorities

Have you ever heard someone talk about how generous they would be if they ever "hit it big?"  I've heard people talk about how much they'd donate if they win the lottery or how much they'd give to charity if they ever became wealthy.  Then there are those with a steady income, always in some sort of financial crisis, regularly relying on the kindness of others, who basically have the same income.  The problem is really not in dollars and cents, but in management and priorities.  I'm not preaching the trendy prosperity message here, but there are a number of Scriptures that do state our Creator will provide.  I realize there are many who are perpetually in need that believe He uses their circle of influence to make that provision, but I'm not so sure I agree with that, especially when it appears to be perpetual.

My monthly income is not large, but as a rule, my expenses are not large either.  What I have noticed is when Abba brings someone my way for assistance, the provision is available.  Another factor that is really becoming plain, is the number of folks who really wouldn't need financial assistance if they were open to learning financial management and realign their priorities.  Our nation has cheated at least three generations from good old fashioned money management skills and encouraged debt beyond what anyone can repay.

Not everyone is waiting for the powerball or an inheritance.  Some folks are just sure when they get a raise, everything is going to suddenly fall into place.  I've even heard folks tell me when they get a raise, then they'll be able to afford to tithe and save . . . A tithe is a percentage.  I realize the current religious jury is out on determining just what we need to do in the area of tithing, but when someone thinks they need to make more money to have 10%, their base thinking is skewed.  It is completely possible with US currency to have and give 10% of a dime . . . it's called a penny.  A dime is 10% of a dollar, so if financial tithing is enough of a priority to mention "when it's affordable," it's time to reconsider the perspective, and factor in that perhaps the lack of giving is the cause of the financial strain.  I'm not talking about a mega church building fund here, either; but giving for the glory of YHWH.

The people who are the most giving, simply give of what they have.  The most generous people don't usually have the most in life, but are content with what they have.  I'm reminded of the poor widow's mite.  She didn't say, when she was as wealthy as the Pharisees or the tax collectors that she'd give, NO, she gave what she had.

There are a number of folks, myself included that get taken in with the idea that if we regularly help our grown kids, it's somehow righteous.  Ninety percent of the time, we're operating in guilt and/or control, rather than righteous servants of the Most High.  If our grown kids regularly need to be subsidised and bailed out, then we didn't teach them properly, and if we continue to subsidise we're enabling.  Even with all the tithing debate, there is no way on "G-d's green earth" to even remotely label the subsidizing of grown children as ministry.

A man who made a very nice living, but was still struggling told me if he could just make so many more dollars an hour, he'd be set.  When he shared the amount of his current income, it was all I could do to maintain a poker face.  I couldn't imagine someone just blowing through that kind of money every month.  I literally could not wrap my mind around it.  It was in my moment of shock and silence, I heard the still small voice telling me.  "those who are faithful in the little things will be given much."  I was then able to look at him with compassion and simply state.  "G-d won't give you more of what you are already struggling to handle."

For those who are hoping a windfall or a raise solves the problems, it won't.  For those with "big plans" if the ship ever comes in, it likely won't.  There are actually sad statistics for those who have received a windfall of one kind or another who are now bankrupt.  Stewardship is almost a forgotten word in spiritual teaching, but it needs to come back.  Financial management and G-dly priorities are part of our witness.  Paying our bills is part of our witness.  I don't believe prosperity comes from the lottery or from donating to a televangelist, but from obedient stewardship, conscientious management, and being content with what we have.

As for being a financial hero when the big money comes in . . . Yeah right.  What are we doing to improve our little corner where we are with what YHWH has given us?
Whether it's entitlements or just constant complaining about one's income, it boils down to one of two things.  Either G-d isn't providing or we're wanting what someone else has.

 Thou shalt not covet . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment