Saturday, January 18, 2014

Freely Given

I am often conflicted about what I do need to charge in business, because, well, many of my ideas come from our Creator, and that means they were given to me freely.  Now, the oils and herbs, I have to buy or harvest, so they have a definite cost to figure.  Bottles, containers, labels, postage, those are all real expenses and I do have to make enough to stay in business, but when it comes to books and formulas, I'm a bit hesitant.  The products of the Land of Goshen are priced according to cost, the Goshen Gazette, on the other hand; is a free publication, but I do have ad spots for sale.

I've seen various folks attempt to have unpaid contributors while charging for their product, and I don't think our Heavenly Father approves of that.  All the contributors at the Goshen Gazette graciously give of their time and talent to produce quality articles and provide needed information, so it would be an outrage to charge folks to read it.  By the way, the ad spots are very reasonably priced.  As editor, even my own companies pay for ad spots.  Along with not charging for what I've been given freely, I can't expect free advertising when there is a charge.  I think that's one of the problems in our American economy, the rules of business seem to be based upon favors and entitlements.

Back to "freely given."  I remember the first time I heard of a Bible teacher that sold tickets, or at least the event had a charge.  A woman offered me two $15.00 tickets, as a gift, because she'd already bought them but events unfolded that she would be unable to attend, and couldn't use them.  I thanked her for her kindness, but clearly stated, I didn't attend Bible teachings that sold tickets.  She was taken aback, so perhaps, my first introduction to this fee for what was freely given, was already behind the trend.  I see this "teacher" promoted from time to time, in social media, and regardless of the comments, I'm still very glad I didn't attend her conference.

I smile to YHWH when I see a situation and simply offer a practical hands on idea, without charge, without order form or donation button, I just offer what He lays on my heart.  I know this is something he put in my heart and on my heart, years ago, to bring G-d's healing to a godless nation.  Well, here I am, offering freely what I've been freely given, and I charge for what I have to pay for.  Seems an easy way to figure this.  Books, on the other hand, are tricky.

The information contained in the books I write is given to me freely, but to magnify coverage, as in book stores and book sellers, they want a price on the book to carry it and promote it.  Book sellers have to make a living to remain book sellers, so the books do have a cost of production, and a royalty fee must be covered for promotion.  Meanwhile, what I've been freely given, I will still be happy to share, freely.

I already know, when I give of what YHWH has blessed me to have and to know, the financial return is inconsequential.  To read that someone has come to a fuller understanding, or feels better, or is able to share simplistic truth with their spouses, loved ones, and friends, is the return on what I've been freely given.  For those who purchase my products, there is a cost for my ingredients, but I do pray a blessing over them, as I prepare, wrap and package them.

Kingdom Economy is about freely giving what we've been freely given as well as making a reasonable product affordable and available.


No comments:

Post a Comment