Sunday, February 15, 2015

No Donation Button

I have a ministry website, an online store, as well as a state license for old fashioned storefront business and . . . heading for expansion, so there's no need for a donation button on my site.  I've noticed a number of ministry websites that also have a store or sell merchandise, and have a donation button and to be honest, I don't get that.  Recently, we featured a video link from Paul Nison on the subject of the ministry conflict between claiming to trust G-d while asking for money.

After 20 years of ministry, I can state clearly, if Adonai has ordained something, His projects do not require begging for funds, although others may want to willingly participate without being solicited.  Those folks should be welcomed to share in the blessing!  I truly believe the website "donation" button can be a hindrance.  I have noticed some sites that have set up specific requests for someone else and when that goal is reached, they announce that, thank everyone who participated and remove the request.  That's a different matter and I support those who take the time to discover needs and find a way to collect for others.  I think there are a number of us who keep a few dollars in a paypal account to offer assistance when a need like that comes into our awareness and touches our heart.  I have no qualms about buying a product or book in support of certain outreaches as well, but selling products and collecting donations sounds confusing at best and a tax nightmare at worst!

When the Goshen Gazette first began, I looked for contributors who did not solicit funds.  I still do look for that in our regular links, but as the links have increased, I'm sure donation buttons appear on occasion.  I would like to offer a bit of advice for those who are considering expanding a ministry outreach, but unsure of the coverage of cost.  Make it a serious matter of prayer before adding that donation button.  Abba is amazingly creative in His provision.  I can't tell even begin to count the number of times, I've read about a health issue or emergency that I simply responded to with either product or a few dollars, that have turned into regular customers and regular contributors, and often the blessing of new and lasting friendships.

The donation button limits what we can receive from our Creator.  He is so good, so great, and so creative, His provision is manifest far beyond a few dollars in PayPal or Western Union.

No comments:

Post a Comment