Sunday, August 3, 2014

Added That Day

Education, money, tax exempt status, and "the Lord will provide"  are all topics of discussion in religious groups, while also discussing "signs of the times" and end of days.  It just doesn't all fit in the same conversation any more.  If we really believe these are the end of days and tribulation is at hand, why all the peripheral issues?  I admit it, I find myself sucked into at least one useless discussion nearly every day.  Times are turbulent and we aren't sure what's coming next, but as I consider the book of Acts, they didn't know what was coming next, either.  At least we can turn the page to see.

We've got numbers in the wrong "column" so to speak.  While we speak of membership, building funds, and offerings, the real numbers mentioned in Acts were people who actually came into the community of believers.  The "religion" in the book of Acts wasn't any hourly weekend gathering.  Those who were "added that day" got involved and stayed involved.  Some sold land for the cause, others prepared food, some taught, some took notes, many still worked and maintained their businesses, while contributing.

I realize this is a touchy subject, but I'm delving headlong.  Clearly James did not share the Gospel in a politically correct way as he was put to death by sword, pretty early.  Stephen, stoned to death in chapter 8.  Peter and John were in and out of prison and Paul spent a great deal of his ministry before the magistrates or behind bars.  None of these guys were popular like the big names are now.  Herod didn't like Peter the way President Johnson liked Billy Graham.  Can you imagine Paul in an interview with Oprah?  Picture if you will, if that is even possible; John the Baptist moderating a presidential candidate's debate.

I'm not against education, money, or comfort, but to spend the end of days in debate and call it fellowship is ridiculous.  I thought I was establishing a place of refuge for the remnant in the end of days, and I still think I am, but I don't think it's going to be the crowd I first imagined.  We have to really get serious about what we believe "as in the days of Noah" truly were.  Most of the time when I hear "the Lord will provide . . ." I discern that to mean it's business as usual, until . . . I think we have already passed business as usual.  The disciples dropped their nets to follow Messiah, and it was never "business as usual" again.

The time of choosing to come out from among them to be separate, is coming to a close.  The time to stand up and be counted is upon us.  When the line in the sand becomes a chasm, to which group will we be added that day?

No comments:

Post a Comment