Sunday, August 17, 2014

Time, Money, Distance and Amenities

The other day, I was on a mission.  It took the better part of the afternoon and evening, but the results are wonderful!  I showed the lovely picture of little Zinnia that evening on social media, but two new bucks came on the ride as well.  They both won't stay long, as they are related, but they came as a package deal that I just couldn't pass up.

When Adonai told me to prepare practically, I tried very hard to be diligent in my preparation.  I'll admit right now, I'm a softie when it comes to goats.  I'm not always as practical as I need to be.  I am very practical in most areas of my life, but when it comes to kids, four legged or two legged, I'm usually a pushover.  Zinnia has already discovered that fact . . . back to the mission of practicality.  As I gave great consideration to this plan of preparedness, a memory popped into play . . . From the onset of this homesteading plan, I was really feeling the desire, I can't say led, per se, but the desire to have what I call a Jacob's herd.

In reading Genesis and taking notice of things in general, it does seem the purebred animals of any species are often subject to recessive weaknesses.  I've always had a pretty good mix of breeds in the herd, but it has seemed the solid light color or white is dominant in the kid crop.  One year, amidst predominantly dark nannies, and a light silver [blue] buck who should have been named Houdini, I had light silver, almost white kids in every pen.  He made good time covering four pens beyond his own, in that one week, every doe on the place gave birth to at least one silver kid.  I got him the first week of October.  The gestation period for goats is 5 months or 150 days.  Every doe kidded the first week of March.  I truly regretted selling ol' Jerry Lee, but even when moving to Goshen, a professionally installed 4 ft. 4X4 woven goat fence wouldn't hold him.  My that was a trip down memory lane.

Since I do believe in Psalm 37:4, I gave serious consideration to make spotted, streaked, and speckled dominant in the herd.  Clearly, Zinnia is a start for spotted.



 I call this mottled, as some versions of Scripture use that term.  He's got just interesting color changes and patches all over his sides and back.

A similar stripe on my previous herd sire has already been proven to be dominant in the herd, so next year, with the blessing of Yah, we'll see what the kids look like.  None of the does are a single color.













I got so excited in all the color and variables, I almost forgot.  Getting to the previous homes of all these fine creatures took a little over two hours in the traffic.  I travelled a little over 200 miles round trip and gave a little over $200 and 2 bars of soap, for the three of them.  It seems such a small investment for the potential.  I pray I'm planning according to Abba's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment