Monday, March 24, 2014

Money

Who knew?  YHWH knew He would be leading me to actually talk about money in regard to His kingdom.  The New Testament addresses the subject of money, but not in the "prosperity trending way."  Money was only a tool, often specified for taxes and/or travel.   It was easier to travel with coins than produce and livestock for exchange.
 "Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everybody will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the Law." Acts 21:24

Actually the Scripture above indicates, the ministers are to provide for the converts and flock in a tangible way.  Land, agricultural products, and usable merchandise were valued throughout Scripture, rather than the coins used to obtain these items.  And, of course, there was a completely different perspective of necessity and luxury.  The Creator of the universe will be glorified and honored in matters of earthly finance, if His people use the money according to His plan.

I was speaking with a friend the other day, and told one of my strictest kept secrets.  I don't usually discuss money at all, but one of my daughters would say otherwise.  With her, I think it was simply a matter of trying to drive the message home that there was more to life than money and materialism, but so far, that concept hasn't been received.  Back to my secret.

Years ago, when I established the Living Water Mission, I bought an old empty building in a not so upscale part of town.  I was able to pay cash for this building, so it obviously needed some work, a lot of work.  It had been on the market for a few years, and I think the sellers were just tired of dealing with it.  This was where YHWH had drawn me to establish the work He'd called me to do.  Not only was I to work with the children in the neighborhood on Sabbath, but the zoning permitted me to also see clients in my alternative wellness practice.  My wellness practice consisted of massage therapy, reflexology, iridology, essential oils, and herbs.

I had a very small monthly annuity income that was secure, and the rest of my income was based upon appointments.  Here is where it got very interesting and I cannot believe I'm posting this to the world wide web.  I purchased the building in June of 1998.  Now, in looking back, I'm even more utterly amazed at the provision of YHWH.  So many needs showed up in less than a year, but there was always enough to meet them . . . and often right ahead or right behind those needs, an "unexpected" provision would appear!

This is literally how I managed to have enough money to purchase the first homestead seven years later.  I ran that mission, paid the utilities and fed the neighborhood children on my annuity income of $513.70 a  month.  I also had plenty of gas money to serve as volunteer chaplain in various places all over the community.  Here's where it gets even more interesting . . .  I was directed to save the money I made from my wellness practice.   There were times I'd be shown, it needed to be used specifically, but otherwise it sat in a savings account, growing, and back then collected decent interest.  I was also led to make a couple of small stock investments, when I received a sizeable financial gift.  Then seven years later, when the time for my exodus came, I simply withdrew savings, and handed the title company a cashier's check.

The point I am making about money, is it's only a tool to use in this world, because our society finds the barter system inconvenient.  I am a child of the King, and I lived on an allowance.  I always had enough, usually, more than enough, but never lacked.  A church in the area ran a weekly food pantry, and it wasn't long until they contacted me to offer the leftover, perishable items they were given.  So, my food budget for the children, was reduced.  Thankfully, the timing was precise in the seven years later, when the water bill was to skyrocket, I was brought out to the first homestead and haven't had a water bill since.

Back before the real estate bubble burst, when house prices were it at their "height" it cost less than $30,000.00 to purchase two acres of land with a well, septic tank, and a nearly new manufactured home.  It was a start!  It was where I could learn without being overwhelmed.  YHWH knew just what I needed, and I'm so glad I trusted Him in obedience, on the money.  I was led to sell my paper stock to invest in four legged stock, make improvements on the place  and safely off of Wall Street before the Great Repression hit.   The rest of that, also went into savings, which ended up being used to buy a larger place.  YHWH truly gave increase, in that I didn't sell the smaller place for two years after I bought the larger one.

Now, even in 2014, my personal expenses still do not exceed that annuity income.  Having a business, I keep very accurate and separate figures.  That's not to say, I live impoverished.  I have many comforts and what I call luxuries.  My life just doesn't cost very much!  I don't buy many groceries, I don't need cable, I'm blessed with great natural health and beauty products as well as cleaning supplies, and in heading off the grid, the only utility bill I have; electricity, is greatly reduced.  Internet communication is the largest expense in the budget.  In 1998, I had no idea what YHWH had planned for 2005.  Now here it is 2014, and in looking back, I'm so glad I didn't spend the extra income, just to be spending it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment