Sunday, March 9, 2014

Clocked Out on the Time Game

I have shared how I play a "time game" every year through the DST CST transition.  No longer than we are on standard time, I no longer change my clocks in the fall.  Every morning through the winter, I am aware that I have another hour to do whatever I'm doing . . . But that came to an end this morning.

It is my fervent belief that this time change has more to do with causing a more profound effect on our mind and body.  Through the shortest daylight hours of the year, many people simply do not see daylight hours except on the weekend.  That has an effect on how we feel.  By late January, the daylight hours have increased enough that egg production is on the rise, and I'm sure people would also feel the momentum if our society wasn't so clock-bound.

My Daddy has a saying about wasting time, he calls it "burning daylight."  It just seems this time game is a regimented way to burn daylight.  For the average office worker, the drive to and from work is their only hope of a glimpse of daylight through the winter.  Now with the time change, the folks who were just getting a glimpse of sunrise will be back to dark mornings, with very little significant daylight yet at the end of the day.

The time game a great way to usher in spring fever.  The truth of the matter is simple.  There are still 24 hours in a day, and so many hours of daylight and dark per day.  To change our clocks only affects us mentally, which then affects us physically.  This may help the pharmaceutical industry and the cable companies, but there are no studies that clearly state our energy consumption is diminished in the winter or our spending is increased in the summer.  Those were the reasons we were given for this time game, when it began.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment